Dealer who was released on suspended sentence was caught with heroin again

Dealer who was released on suspended sentence was caught with heroin again
A spoon used by heroin addicts

A Cork man dealing heroin at the city’s main bus station could have avoided 18 months in jail if he had stayed out of trouble but being caught again with heroin for his own use triggered the activation of that 18-month sentence today.

Detective Garda John Sheedy of the drugs squad arrested William Kenny moments after he had taken delivery of a stash of heroin worth almost €2,000.

That was back in 2016 and the accused man was given a three-year jail term, with half of it suspended on condition that he would keep the peace and commit no further offences on his release from jail.

However, Detective Garda Sheedy said that a short time after his release from jail, Kenny had been caught with a small amount of heroin for his own use and he was given a four-month jail term for this.

That conviction triggered re-entry of the 18-month suspended sentence today.

Defence barrister Alan O’Dwyer said the accused had been attending for pre-entry to Coolmine treatment centre but was unable to fulfill the criteria of providing clean urinalysis because he was continuing to use drugs.

Det Garda Sheedy said that unfortunately, Mr Kenny had a severe drug addiction and had it for a long time.

Mr Kenny, 41, of no fixed address, will now commence the 18 months in prison as a result of what occurred at Cork Circuit Criminal Court today.

In the original case, he pleaded guilty to having heroin at Oliver Plunkett Street, Cork, on September 3, 2016, for the purpose of sale or supply where the alleged value was €1,960.

Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin sentenced Kenny to three years imprisonment with half of that term suspended, commenting at the time: “This is a serious offence. This 41-year-old man was openly dealing drugs in the bus station in Cork. It was being done openly. That is the aggravating faction.”

More in this section

Sponsored Content