Ballyvolane shooting victim released from hospital; gardaí continue hunt for gunman

Ballyvolane shooting victim released from hospital; gardaí continue hunt for gunman
The scene of the shooting in Chapelgate, Ballyvolane on Friday, November 29Credit: Damian Coleman

THE man shot in a housing estate in Ballyvolane a week ago has been discharged from hospital.

The 41-year-old was discharged on Wednesday after the ambush shooting in Chapelgate in Ballyvolane on Friday, November 29.

He had been approached in the estate and shot a number of times by a gunman who fled from the scene on foot.

It is understood the man was also targeted in a separate shooting last year.

In the most recent incident, he suffered injuries to his abdomen.

Credit: Damian Coleman
Credit: Damian Coleman

The injured man was treated at the scene by emergency services, including the Southern Region Garda Armed Support Unit, before being taken to Cork University Hospital where he remained until being discharged on Wednesday.

Gardai are trying to establish a motive for the attack.

It is understood the man is known to gardaí.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Councillor Ken O’Flynn said the community in the quiet housing estate was shaken by the incident and he has called for more Gardaí to be assigned to Cork city on a permanent basis.

“It gives a terrible impression to a very quiet, respectful and decent neighbourhood," he said.

Gardaí are appealing to anyone who was in Chapelgate area between 7pm and 7.45pm on November 29 who has not yet come forward.

They are also appealing to anyone who has dashcam footage to make it available to gardaí.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Mayfield Garda Station 021-4558510 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

More in this section

Sponsored Content

summersoaplogosml

Catch up on the latest episode of Annie May and the Hit Brigade written and read by  Mahito Indi Henderson.

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more