CORK City Council has moved to allay fears about reports of further vandalism to graves at Kilcully cemetery.
They say there was no vandalism in the cemetery yesterday, despite reports emerging on social media that at least three more graves had been damaged.
Stephen Scully of Cork City Council's parks department told The Echo that “any damage caused to a grave would have happened last week.
“Our staff have had no reports of any vandalism at the cemetery since last Thursday night,” he said.
One local resident who did not wish to be named told The Echo that cameras need to be erected in the graveyard itself.
When put to the Council, they said: “The Cemetery is a working cemetery with a number of staff present six days a week and a number of security staff present as well on a 24-hour basis since last Friday.
“The CCTV covers not alone the car park area, but all the entrances to the cemetery.”
Local Councillor Ken O’Flynn told The Echo he took calls from concerned families last night and said that he felt it was “bizarre” that people would have the “audacity” to carry out further acts of vandalism following the extensive media coverage and Garda investigation.
“There’s something more to this than meets the eye. Is it two fingers up to City Hall? It’s mind-boggling that this would happen again,” he said.
The latest reports of vandalism at the cemetery come following significant damage last week, with headstones being smashed, ornaments being broken or removed and items being stolen from graves.