The victim of a gruesome murder during which his head and arms were cut off was a homeless man in his 60s.
The body of the man was found in the garden of an abandoned house on Boreenmanna Road in Cork city on Saturday.
His head and arms had been severed from his body.
Detective Superintendent Mick Comyns said they are appealing for people who passed by Castlegreina House on Boreenmanna Road in recent days, specifically from Christmas Day to yesterday and who saw any suspicious activity in the area.
Det Supt Comyns said: “We are appealing for any persons who passed on Boreenmanna Road over the past few days, going back to Christmas Day, if they have seen any activity around this house to come forward.
“It is a derelict house. There shouldn’t be anyone in or around the house. People who were passing in cars - it is a very busy road - people with dash cams, if they could contact us.
"Also pedestrians, it is a very busy area for people living in the locality to walk into town. We would be appealing to those people to come forward if they have seen any activity at all around the house, since Christmas Day.”
The dismembered, decapitated body of the man was found on Saturday at around 4pm by a neighbour.
The severed body parts were later found following a search of the grounds by Gardaí.
Det Supt Comyns said the Gardaí have a full investigation up and running, with local patrols in the area and uniformed Gardaí carrying out house-to-house enquiries and trawling through CCTV.
He said they were awaiting the result of the postmortem before reaching a conclusion on a number of key points, such as where the murder was carried out, the identity of the deceased and the full extent of the injuries suffered.
“The post-mortem will be using fingerprints and DNA analysis to identify the body,” Det Supt Comyns said.
The Gardaí are not liaising with families who might be linked to the deceased at present, but Det Supt Comyns said that they have gone through a list of missing persons.
Det Supt Comyns urged people to come forward to help with the investigation, saying they can reach out through the Garda Confidential Line.
“I would reassure everyone, they have nothing to fear. Anyone who has fear can contact us on the Garda Confidential Line.”
He said they had received some information from the public already, but were hoping for more engagement.
“We have had a response, not a huge response as of yet, hoping following the appeal to get a better response.”
Det Supt Comyns asked people to contact the Gardaí at the Bridewell Garda Station on 021 4943330 or on the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.