Man chased by up to 60 Cork gardaí faces fresh burglary charges

Man chased by up to 60 Cork gardaí faces fresh burglary charges

The most serious charge is one of endangerment were it is alleged that at Coach Hill, Rochestown, he drove the Audi in a manner which created a risk of serious harm to two members of An Garda Síochána. Picture Dan Linehan

A book of evidence is being prepared in the case against a man accused of having more than €36,000 worth of stolen jewellery in a stolen Audi and endangering the lives of gardaí by his driving.

The 28-year-old man was arrested in Cork following a major search involving up to 60 gardaí.

Laurence Connors from Cherryfield Way halting site, Firhouse, Dublin, appeared again at Cork District Court where Garda Liz Bugler said that new charges were being brought against the accused and some older charges were being withdrawn.

Connors now faces six charges arising out of alleged incidents in and around Cork city on September 12.

Garda Bugler of Douglas Garda Station gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution and told the court that Mr Connors made no reply to any of the charges when they were put to him after caution.

Among the charges were that Mr Connors committed a burglary at Eyrecourt, Rochestown, Cork, and that he was in possession of an Audi RS3 at Coach Hill that had been stolen in the He is also charged that at the N40 South Ring Road, he was in possession of a safe and jewellery stolen from a house on Coach Hill and that he was in possession of jewellery stolen from another house on the Rochestown Road – the stolen property being worth over €36,000.

He was also charged that at the N40 South Ring Road, he was in possession of hammers, screwdrivers, cleaning sprays and gloves for use in the course of a burglary.

The most serious charge is one of endangerment were it is alleged that at Coach Hill, Rochestown, he drove the Audi in a manner which created a risk of serious harm to two members of An Garda Síochána.

Frank Buttimer, solicitor, said a book of evidence would be required and that the accused was anxious that his case would proceed at the February sessions of Cork Circuit Criminal Court.

Judge Olann Kelleher adjourned the case until January 10 at Cork District Court to allow time for preparation and service of the book of evidence.

More in this section

Sponsored Content

summersoaplogosml

Catch up on the latest episode of Annie May and the Hit Brigade written and read by  Mahito Indi Henderson.

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more