Late appeal means events centre project will be further delayed to next year

Late appeal means events centre project will be further delayed to next year
A computer-generated image of the revised events centre plans submitted by Bam. Pic: G-Net 3D

The proposed events centre development in Cork could be facing delays of more than four months as two last-minute appeals have been lodged with An Bord Pleanala.

When contacted on Thursday the planning appeals board confirmed to The Echo that the developers had lodged an appeal on one of the planning conditions, while there was also a final-hour third party appeal lodged.

The individual who lodged the third party appeal had previously made a submission on the development to Cork City Council in September of 2018.

An Bord Pleanala was not in a position to discuss the contents of the current submission on the development, however, in the previous appeal to Cork City Council the submission states  the person is generally in favour of the project at the location, but that the revised designs are not good enough and the city deserves better.

The appeal raised concerns about the historic integrity of the area should the development go ahead as planned, and said not enough had been done to incorporate and showcase the extensive archaeological finds at the site.

The individual called for a ‘The Medieval Quarter’ and also claimed that the building would be obsolete in 50 years and would be rebuilt in Cork’s Docklands.

A computer-generated image of the revised events centre plans submitted by Bam 
A computer-generated image of the revised events centre plans submitted by Bam 

The previously appeal also called for a Cork Events and Viking Heritage Centre to be established and said a replica longboat should be tied up and up-lit on the quayside.

It also called for reduced traffic and more pedestrian access.

“I think the Events Centre, as a whole, has been pretty much a disaster and embarrassment to date - let some good be garnered from the situation now,” the submission to Cork City Council read.

Meanwhile, according to An Bord Pleanala developers BAM have appealed condition number 48 of their planning permission, which relates to development contributions.

€1.68 million has been sought by the Planning Authority for the specific costs that will be incurred on the provision of two pedestrian bridges from the site, as well as public realm improvements.

The public appeals process with An Bord Pleanala has now closed, with the application now open for observations until December 3rd.

An Bord Pleanala endeavour to make decisions on appeals within 18 weeks, but it may take longer.

More in this section

Sponsored Content