Man spared jail on condition he flies out of Ireland after horror Cork crash

Man spared jail on condition he flies out of Ireland after horror Cork crash

A 63-year-old man from the Czech Republic whose driving caused his friend’s got a suspended sentence

A 63-year-old man from the Czech Republic whose driving caused his friend’s death in Cork had a one-year jail term suspended on condition that he would fly out of Ireland tomorrow.

Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin noted that the prosecution and defence were in agreement that the accused was suffering from extremely poor health at the moment.

Pavelaka Galba was arraigned at Cork Circuit Criminal Court today and pleaded guilty to two counts on the indictment against him.

Galba, of Knockaroo, Borris-in-Ossory, Co Laois, admitted that he drove on November 24, 2014, without due care and attention at Ballybeg West, Buttevant, thereby causing the death of Miroslav Kozel, who was aged 59.

Galba also admitted the offence of driving without insurance.

Sergeant Tony Cronin said the accused was driving from Cork towards Ballybeg when he lost control of his vehicle on a corner which caused it to spin 90 degrees and skid broadside into oncoming traffic.

His front-seat passenger, Mr Kozel, took the brunt of the collision and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin was told that the accused was extradited in July from the Czech Republic and had been remanded in custody on the charges arising out of the fatal incident in 2014.

Defence barrister Sinéad Behan said the accused had been suffering from serious health issues. Prosecution barrister Donal McCarthy said the prosecution accepted that this was the case.

Sergeant Cronin said the accused had been in custody since July following his arrest on a European arrest warrant.

More in this section

Sponsored Content