The trial of a man accused of deceiving an elderly woman and man out of huge amounts of cash in West Cork over prolonged periods had been scheduled for tomorrow but cannot go ahead because of Coronavirus restrictions.
Bradut Iosca of Relic Road, Kilbeggan, Westmeath, had the case against him called at Cork Circuit Criminal Court today.
The Romanian defendant, who had the assistance of an interpreter, faces a total of almost 200 counts of theft by deception.
The defendant, who is aged around 40, is charged with 176 counts of theft by deception from a woman in her seventies on various occasions spanning from March 2012 to January 2019.
Iosca faces 21 similar counts relating to theft by deception from a man in his seventies on dates from October 2017 to August 2018.
The sums of money referred to in each charge is in the order of several hundred euro. One charge refers to a sum of €5,500.
Prosecution barrister, Brendan Kelly, said today, “This trial was specially fixed for (Wednesday) but the trial cannot proceed. It will be a lengthy enough trial. It might exceed one week. He is charged with various theft charges with almost 200 counts on the indictment. There are two complainants, both of whom are in their seventies.”
Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin acknowledged that the trial could not proceed under the present circumstances, and said of the injured parties, “They will have to cocoon themselves.”
And he added, “Juries are non-existent.”
Defence barrister, Donal O’Sullivan, said, “I don’t think there will be jury trials in the June sessions (the sessions of Cork Circuit Criminal Court after the ones that have commenced this week).”
Judge Ó Donnabháin adjourned the case against the defendant until October 28.
It is anticipated that if Coronavirus restrictions on the operation of courts have ended by then, a date will be set on October 28 for the trial of Iosca.