Trial by indictment of Cork knife attack accused; woman required nine hours of emergency surgery  

Trial by indictment of Cork knife attack accused; woman required nine hours of emergency surgery  
Picture: Eddie O'Hare

THE Director of Public Prosecutions today directed trial by indictment of a 54-year-old man accused of a knife attack on a family resulting in one woman having to undergo nine hours of emergency surgery.

Thomas O’Sullivan of Silvercourt, Silversprings, Cork, appeared by video link from prison at Cork District Court today.

Sergeant Gearóid Davis said: “Directions have been received from the DPP and they are for prosecution on indictment at Cork Circuit Criminal Court and there is also consent to accept a signed plea of guilty should that arise.”

Frank Buttimer, defence solicitor, asked for the case to be put back so that he could advise Mr O’Sullivan on his options.

Judge Olann Kelleher adjourned the case until April 6 for that purpose.

Mr O’Sullivan is charged with three separate counts of assault causing harm to a 47-year-old woman, her 20-year-old daughter, and her 10-year-old son.

Mr O’Sullivan is charged with assault causing harm to all three at an address in Cork City on December 23, contrary to the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997.

At the first hearing, Inspector Sean McCarthy said gardaí were anxious to protect the anonymity of the child who was only 10 years old. Mr O’Sullivan was refused bail.

Detective Garda Dermot Crowley gave evidence of arrest, charge, and caution and told the court that Mr O’Sullivan made no reply to the first two charges of assaulting the woman and her 20-year-old daughter.

To the charge of assaulting the 10-year-old, he replied: “I didn’t think I assaulted him — I know it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other but I didn’t think I assaulted him.”

Det Garda Crowley said the State would allege that the older woman suffered stab wounds to her torso while the younger woman suffered a stab wound to the back of her neck and the boy suffered a stab wound to his side.

He said all three had to be treated for their injuries at Cork University Hospital where the older woman had to undergo emergency surgery lasting nine hours.

More in this section

Sponsored Content