McDonald's has this afternoon confirmed it is to reopen some of its outlets in Ireland from next week.
On Wednesday, May 20, six restaurants in Dublin will recommence a drive-thru service only, with all drive-thrus in the UK and Ireland set to reopen by early June.
The news follows a statement issued by McDonald's last month, revealing that the company was conducting operational tests to see what reopening its restaurants in the UK and Ireland might involve.
Detailing some of the additional safety measures McDonald's will be implementing as the fast-food chains gradually reopen, CEO of McDonald's UK and Ireland, Paul Pomroy, said the company will "cap spend in drive-thrus at €30 per car" for the time being.
Customers are asked to use contactless payment methods where possible.
There will also be fewer staff members in the kitchen and service areas "serving a reduced menu over reduced hours".
Staff will also have their temperature checked before commencing work and will be required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE).
The Minister for Agriculture, Michael Creed, welcomed this afternoon's announcement from McDonald's.
"McDonald's is a valued key purchaser of Irish produce and an employer of a large number of people throughout Ireland," he said.
"I therefore welcome today's announcement that McDonald's restaurants will begin a cautious reopening in Ireland from May 20 with a small number of restaurants opening as drive-thru only at first.
"The last couple of months have been undoubtedly tough, both economically and socially, but the recent announcement from Government on the phased reopening of the country, offers reassurance and hope for brighter days ahead," the Minister said.