Organisers of the 2020 Rose of Tralee festival have confirmed that the event will not go ahead this year.
This is the first time in the 61 year history of the festival that it has been postponed.
In a statement issued this morning (Monday, April 27) organisers said that the impact of COVID-19 continues to be felt worldwide and its thoughts were with all of those who have been affected by the very sad losses the pandemic is causing.
“These are unprecedented times for all and the health and safety [of] our communities remains the utmost concern,” it said.
Organisers said its team had been considering how best it could safely deliver some, or all, of its 2020 festival events over the past few weeks.
“Taking into account Government guidelines, the safety of our communities and the ability to deliver a wonderful Festival; we have decided to postpone our 2020 Festival until August 2021,” it said.
It added:“The Rose of Tralee Festival operates on a yearlong basis, in Irish communities worldwide; and we will continue to harness the goodwill of our extended Rose Family in supporting communities and charitable organisations over the 12 months.
“Similarly we will each have a role to play in restoring our communities and economies following the pandemic. We look forward to coming together in celebration, showcasing our wonderful communities; and welcoming you all to Tralee in August 2021.”
Organisers also paid tribute to the leadership and “selfless efforts” of frontline and support staff everywhere including the 2019 Rose of Tralee, Dr Sinead Flanagan.