Forty-six people were receiving care for either confirmed or suspected COVID-19 at hospitals in Cork last night (Wednesday, April 29th).
According to information from a Health Service Executive (HSE) report, 24 patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 were being treated at Cork University Hospital (CUH) and 22 patients were on site at the Mercy Hospital.
Six people with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 were receiving intensive 24-hour care at critical care units across CUH, the Mercy and the Bon Secours.
The report also provides an insight into the availability of hospital beds in Cork and across the country.
Twelve critical care beds were available at Cork hospitals yesterday with 52 general beds available at CUH and the Mercy.
It comes as latest figures from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) show there’s been a small increase in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Cork.
A total of 1,136 cases of COVID-19 had been reported in Cork up to midnight on Monday night (April 27th).
Cork now accounts for 5.8 per cent of cases nationally.
A breakdown of regional data shows that there have been 335 cases of COVID-19 confirmed among healthcare workers in the HSE South region which includes Cork and Kerry.
Eighty-seven clusters or outbreaks of COVID-19 have been reported in the region, a figure that has remained stable in recent days.
Last night, Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said estimates now show that as of Saturday 25th April, 12,222 COVID-19 cases (64%) in the community have recovered.
“A total of 1,164 cases (6%) have been discharged from hospital which gives us a total recovery rate of 70 per cent,” he said.