Health Minister thanks CUH staff for “incredible work” during outbreak

Health Minister thanks CUH staff for “incredible work” during outbreak

The Health Minister Simon Harris has praised staff at Cork University Hospital for their “incredible work” during the current coronavirus outbreak.

The Health Minister Simon Harris has praised staff at Cork University Hospital (CUH) for their “incredible work” during the current coronavirus outbreak.

It comes as the number of people on the island of Ireland who have tested positive for COVID-19 rises to 40. Twenty-four confirmed cases have been reported in the Republic of Ireland, with sixteen cases reported in Northern Ireland. 

In the region of 100 staff members at CUH were self-isolating after a patient at the hospital tested positive for COVID-19 last week, however, some staff are returning to work.

The Health Minister said this evening (Tuesday) that he had spoken to representatives of both CUH and of the UL Hospitals group to thank staff and management for their incredible work in “particularly challenging circumstances for them” in recent days. 

“Right across the country, our healthcare professionals and support staff are doing amazing work,” the Minister said in a tweet.

Management at CUH has introduced strict visitor restrictions this week amid the outbreak. 

This evening, the hospital confirmed it will be reducing/rescheduling outpatient appointments for the remainder of this week.

A number of services not be impacted and patients are being advised to attend as per their appointments in the following areas; Dialysis; Dressing clinic; Warfarin clinic; Endoscopy; Cystic Fibrosis; Infusions; Radiology; Hepatology; Gastroenterology; Therapies: Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dietetics, Speech & Language; all regional cancer centre appointments in the Glandore and Orchid Centre; EEG/EMG.

"All other appointments are being rescheduled, unless patients are directly contacted by the hospital to attend their scheduled appointment," a spokesperson for the hospital said. 

Surgeries will proceed as normal unless patients are contacted by the hospital and advised otherwise. 


More in this section

Sponsored Content