MCD announce rescheduling of Cork's Westlife gigs under new govt ban on mass gatherings

MCD announce rescheduling of Cork's Westlife gigs under new govt ban on mass gatherings
Westlife Album Cover.

MCD has announced the rescheduling of its Westlife gigs at Páirc Uí Chaoimh which were due to take place in August of this year.

Both Cork dates have now been rescheduled and will be played on August 27 and August 28 2021.

Existing tickets are valid for the new 2021 dates.

The famous boy band had previously announced the cancellation of a number of headline shows at festivals in the UK.

It comes after the government’s announcement that events seeking licences for more than 5,000 people will be rejected.

In a statement, the band said: "To all our Irish fans, following the Irish Government's announcement last night (extending the Irish ban on mass gatherings until 31st August) the shows at Cork's Páirc Uí Chaoimh have been postponed to 27th and 28th August 2021 with all tickets valid for new dates and no ticket exchange required."

MCD is also the organiser of Cork’s Musgrave Park summer series due to take place in June.

With a capacity of over 8,000, Musgrave Park’s summer series is now eliminated from Cork’s events calendar but MCD are yet to comment on whether the gigs will be rescheduled for another time.

A total of seven concerts were due to be played at the stadium in June, attracting thousands to the city.

These included: Lewis Capaldi on June 18, Gerry Cinnamon on June 19, David Gray on June 20, The Script on June23, Picture This on June 26 and Dermot Kennedy on June 27.

In a statement, MCD Productions said that it will not be possible to reschedule all affected events and a small number will have to be cancelled entirely and refunds made available.

Existing tickets will remain valid for rescheduled shows.

The full schedule of affected events is due to be finalised by Tuesday, April 28.

For all other events the current government directive on the holding of mass gatherings remains in place until 5th May 2020.

“MCD is fully supportive of these safety measures and will continue to work with the Government of Ireland and the HSE in the interests of the health and welfare of all.

We wish to thank all our customers, artists and staff for their continued cooperation and understanding during this unprecedented time.

“Most importantly, thank you to our medical and frontline workers who we can continue to support by implementing HSE guidelines as well strive to beat the Covid-19 pandemic,” the statement read.

More in this section

Sponsored Content