Seventeen more people with COVID-19 in Ireland have died, according to the latest data from the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET).
This is the largest number of deaths recorded in any one day in Ireland since the outbreak began.
It brings to 71 the number of people with COVID-19 in Ireland who have died.
According to NPHET, eight of these deaths were reported in the east of the country, with three deaths in the south, three in the north-west and three in the west of the country.
The median age of the deaths reported was 84.
It said eight of these patients were reported as having underlying health conditions.
An additional 325 new cases of COVID-19 have also been reported, with 3,235 confirmed cases around the country.
Meanwhile, an analysis of data collected up to midnight on Sunday night shows that of 2,677 cases reported, 238 of these have been reported in Cork.
Dublin has the highest number of cases at 1,487.
A total of 113 patients were in intensive care.
The median age of confirmed cases is 47 years.
A total of 647 cases have been reported in healthcare workers.
Of those for whom transmission status is known, community transmission accounts for 51 per cent, close contact accounts for 26 per cent, while travel abroad accounts for 23 per cent.
The National Public Health Emergency Team met on Tuesday and made a number of recommendations including:
To focus contact tracing on suspect cases within prioritised groups.
Contact tracing to encompass the period from 48 hours prior to the onset of symptoms given the risk of asymptomatic transmission.
In response to infections in long term residential care and homecare settings NPHET will work with the HSE to identify a number of measures which can be taken to strengthen support to staff and providers of nursing home care.
Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; “The measures that we have recommended should significantly enhance the preparedness and response to cases and outbreaks in nursing homes and other residential settings.
“As we have said from the beginning our efforts must be focused on protecting the most vulnerable to COVID-19 and these recommendations announced today seek to achieve this.” As of midnight on Monday night, more than 30,213 COVID-19 tests had been carried out in Ireland.