The Minister for Education Joe McHugh has announced this morning that all Leaving Certificate and Junior certificate practical tests, and Leaving Certificate oral tests have been cancelled.
Some 126,000 students are due to take the state examinations this year.
The Minister said it would not be possible to hold the exams next week, or reschedule them due to school closures.
Students will be given full marks for these elements of the exams, and the Minister said no student will score less than they would have if schools were open, and they had completed the tests.
The Department is working on the premise that the written element of the Leaving Certificate examinations will go ahead in June.
Minister McHugh said: “This is a difficult time for all. Students are facing a challenging period out of school and our decision on this element of the exams is being taken with their best interests at heart.
“It is the fairest response we could take in the circumstances.
"It guarantees that no student will score less than they would have if schools had been operating as normal.
“We have seen a new emphasis on remote learning amid the uncertainty about the impact of Covid-19 and the closure of all schools.
"I hope this decision will ease some of the pressure that students are feeling and allow them to focus more clearly on completing project work and preparing for written exams.”
Minister McHugh also confirmed changes to deadlines for students to complete project work and coursework in a number of subjects.
Students were originally scheduled to complete these elements of the state examinations on a number of dates from Friday 20 March to Friday 24 April 2020, depending on the subject.
Students will now be given until Friday 15 May 2020 to complete this work.
Meanwhile, the Minister said there was no decision as yet as to when schools would re-open.