Cork woman left 'terrified' after stranger breaks in and sexually assaults her

Cork woman left 'terrified' after stranger breaks in and sexually assaults her
Linda Hegarty. Credit: RedFM

Speaking to Neil Prendeville of Cork's RedFM, Linda Hegarty said she and her family no longer feel safe in their home after a man broke into her house on Sunday at approximately 4am and put his hand down her pyjama pants whilst she was asleep. 

Her young son was sleeping in the room with her at the time and her other children were asleep in other bedrooms.

Linda explained how she started "uncontrollably screaming" when she woke up to the man sexually assaulting her.

She described the man as being aged between 19-25, smelling strongly of alcohol, with black hair and runners. 

Three children were in the house when the alleged incident happened.

It is understood that the man gained entry into the property via a faulty upstairs window in one of Linda's daughter's bedrooms who was not present when the break-in occurred.

The stranger fled the room after Linda woke up and ran down the stairs, exiting through the front door. 

Linda described how she and her children were petrified after the incident occurred. 

"They were so frightened. They were shaking, we were all shaking. We didn’t know what to do, we were all panicking," she said.

Gardaí in Gurranabraher were made immediately aware of the incident after it occurred.  

Linda said that the windows and door of her house are insufficiently secure and that she has highlighted this to Cork City Council on numerous occasions.

"I’m terrified. I don’t sleep. I won’t sleep until they take me out of this house.

"I’m just trying to get through until someone comes to help us.

"We were never happy with the conditions we live in but it was our little safe haven. Your home is where you feel safe," she said. 

In a statement issued by Gardaí today they said: 

"Gardaí are investigating an alleged sexual assault incident that is reported to have occurred at a house in the Gurranabraher area of Cork in the early hours of 23/02/2020. Investigations are ongoing."

More in this section

Sponsored Content