A GARDA armed support unit car with two officers on board was rammed at a checkpoint and a schoolgirl was later struck on the hand by the same car as it sped from the scene, it was alleged yesterday.
Detective Sergeant Niall O’Connell made this allegation at Cork Circuit Criminal Court as gardaí objected to bail being granted to 28-year-old Andrew Cash.
Cash had made unsuccessful bail applications at Cork District Court and at the High Court in Dublin and yesterday he made a third application for bail through barrister Paula McCarthy, who claimed there had been some change of circumstances which allowed the renewed application for bail. Det. Sgt. O’Connell said gardaí believed that Andrew Cash was a flight risk.
Det. Sgt. O’Connell yesterday outlined the alleged facts of the case that related to a garda checkpoint on May 11, 2018, at Carhoo, Old Mallow Road, Cork.
The detective said it was alleged that at 3.30pm that day the defendant allegedly drove a black Saab towards the checkpoint but then reversed and collided with a stationary car in which the driver was sitting.
It was further alleged that when the car was driven at speed from the scene he later collided with a 15-year-old schoolgirl crossing the road, his car allegedly striking her hand.
Ms McCarthy submitted: “The earliest he could get a trial would be November and possibly next year. And because of restrictions due to Coronavirus he is subject to 23-hour lockdown. He has already been in custody since February 26 on these charges and this can also be taken into consideration. Also he has a young family in Portlaoise and his mother is willing to put up €20,000 bail money.”
Judge Helen Boyle refused bail and said that the seriousness of the charges was something which she also had to consider. He was remanded in custody for the case to be mentioned again on June 16.