Popular Cork city restaurant closes temporarily 

Popular Cork city restaurant closes temporarily 
Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Popular Cork restaurant, Liberty Grill, has taken the decision to temporarily close in response to the novel coronavirus outbreak. 

The Washington Street eatery took to social media earlier this evening, stating that looking after their staff and customers’ wellbeing is the business’ top priority. 

“We have decided after discussion with the staff to take a break for a couple of weeks for our staff and our customers' physical and mental well-being. We will be back as soon as we can. Love and best wishes,” they stated.

 The decision follows new government directives issued this morning. Speaking from Washington, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar announced that all schools, colleges and childcare facilities in Ireland are to close, from 6pm today. Likewise, cultural institutions have been forced to close until March 29. Shops, restaurants and other businesses are, at present, permitted to remain open, with limitations on how many people can gather indoors at any given time. 

Picture: Des Barry.
Picture: Des Barry.

Several restaurants and pubs across Cork have taken to social media to inform the public that they are still open, but have taken measures in order to comply with the new regulations. Market Lane on Oliver Plunkett Street has stated that they have taken out a number of tables in order to increase social distancing. 

“We’re open and serving in all venues. We’ve taken out some tables to provide extra comfort to our guests. We have had an enhanced cleaning regime in place since the start of the crisis which we are reviewing daily,” the restaurant stated. 

Crane Lane also stated that they are open, but have temporarily closed the theatre. 

“Government regulations will be met so the theatre will remain closed until March 29th. We will reschedule all shows including St Patrick’s day for a later date so no fear that your favourite bands will be back on the stage very soon,” they said. The Bróg on Oliver Plunkett Street said they will be “restricting the capacity of the Bróg until further notice”, adding that “entry will be on a first come first served basis”. The Vicarstown Bar on North Main Street informed customers that they will be restricting the numbers allowed in the bar at any given time, but added, “as of now our Paddy’s festival celebrations will be going ahead”.

More in this section

Sponsored Content