THE coronavirus outbreak continues to have an impact on the sporting schedule as some of 2020’s biggest events come into view.
A range of sports have had to take action to prevent the spread of the virus, with postponements hitting the Guinness Six Nations, Formula One and Serie A among others.
With spectacles such as Euro 2020, the Olympics and golf’s majors on the horizon, the PA news agency takes a sport-by-sport look at the impact of the coronavirus.
The GPA has directed all inter-county squads to the HSE guidelines concerning the coronavirus.
Gianni Infantino, the president of the sport’s world governing body Fifa, has said: “If games have to be postponed or played without spectators until it is over, then we have to go through that.” Games during the March international break could come under scrutiny. Five top-flight fixtures in Italy, which is also set to host four matches at Euro 2020, were postponed over the weekend.
Olympics and Paralympics
International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach told the Japanese media last week that preparations for this summer’s Games in Tokyo were continuing and told athletes to go “full steam ahead” with their training.
Ireland’s Six Nations match against Italy in Dublin on March 7 has been postponed. Tournament chiefs yesterday attended a pre-scheduled World Rugby summit in Paris on Monday where the remaining five fixtures will be discussed. England’s trip to Rome on March 14 is the biggest concern.
The Ireland boxing squad cut short a pre-Olympic qualifier training camp in Italy as a precautionary measure last week, following an outbreak of the virus in the country. Meanwhile, all boxing shows scheduled for March in Japan have been cancelled.
Several events in Asia have been postponed and Italy’s Lorenzo Gagli tested negative for the virus before being allowed to compete in last week’s Oman Open. The European Tour said on Sunday that the Qatar Masters, which gets under way on Thursday, was, as things stand, due to go ahead as scheduled.
Grand Prix organisers insist the opening two rounds of the F1 season in Australia and Bahrain will go ahead. The Australian Grand Prix is due to take place on March 15, with the majority of F1 personnel set to travel to Melbourne at the end of this week.