Man allegedly involved in Cork feud released on bail

Man allegedly involved in Cork feud released on bail
Picture: Eddie O'Hare

One of the young Cork men allegedly involved in a feud and making Facebook death threats, who was refused bail in the district court, has been released on High Court bail.

Defence solicitor Thomas Coughlan confirmed at Cork District Court that James McCarthy, 33, of bay 8, halting site, Spring Lane, Cork, had been granted High Court bail.

“He has a curfew and he has to sign on at a garda station,” Mr Coughlan told Judge Olann Kelleher at Cork District Court.

On the application of Sergeant Gearóid Davis, Judge Kelleher put the case against McCarthy back until June 8 for mention.

A co-accused who is allegedly on the opposing side of the feud previously had his case adjourned.

It was alleged at the initial application for bail made by McCarthy at the district court that a video on his Facebook page showed him allegedly making a threat directed at a party on the Stokes side of the dispute.

McCarthy is charged with making a threat to kill or seriously injure another man on April 6.

Detective Garda John Gleeson said it was alleged that McCarthy said on the video, “I will get you. I will cut you from head to toe. I will cut you in pieces. I will cut you in bits.”

Detective Garda Pat Barry said there was an escalating feud between the families that had in recent weeks seen a pipe bomb thrown at a house and a gunshot fired at a house.

More in this section

Sponsored Content