Bail refused for man accused of having gun in Cork city

 
Bail refused for man accused of having gun in Cork city
The Courthouse on Anglesea Street, Cork.Picture Dan Linehan

THE solicitor for a man accused of having a loaded pistol in Cork City last week claimed there was an extra onus on a court to grant bail in light of the Covid-19 emergency.

Joseph Cuddigan said yesterday at Cork District Court: “There is an extra onus on a court not to remand a person in custody pending hearing of the case where it is unlikely it will be heard until next year.”

The defence solicitor was applying for bail in a case where a man was allegedly caught late at night with a jerry-can of petrol and a loaded semi-automatic pistol in a car in a housing estate.

“There are easy ways to keep a close watch on him,” said Mr Cuddigan. “He could be required to live full time at his mother’s house and sign on at his local garda station. The State have ankle bracelets [for tracking a person] although they do not use the technology. They could put it on him when he is out and about.”

After hearing the prosecution evidence and the defence application, Judge Olann Kelleher refused bail and remanded Jonathan O’Sullivan of 55 Barrett’s Buildings, Gurranabraher, Cork, in custody until April 15.

Mr O’Sullivan claimed he was paid to drive a car from A to B and that was it. He said he did not see the gun or ammunition in the car. He said he did see the canister of petrol but knew nothing about it. “I presumed that was for spare fuel,” he said. “I only got the car to pick it up and drop it at a certain location and I done that.”

Garda Keith Shier charged him with having a firearm and having ammunition.

More in this section

Sponsored Content