Cork’s Live at the Marquee concerts have been rescheduled for next year.
Live at the Marquee will return to its home in the Docklands in 2021, it has been confirmed.
Speculation had been mounting about the future of this summer’s concerts after the government's announcement earlier this week that events seeking licences for more than 5,000 people will be rejected.
The concerts were due to get underway on May 28 and were set to run until the end of June.
The lengthy line up included Fontaines DC, Nathan Carter, Tom Jones, Pet Shop Boys, The Coronas, and Diana Ross, to name a few.
Some shows have already been rescheduled and promoters of the highlight of Cork’s summer events calendar, Aiken Promotions, said in a statement that it is working to reschedule other events.
The Coronas has been rescheduled for 28, May 2021. They were originally due to play on 29 May, 2020.
The 2 Johnnies Podcast has been rescheduled for 29, May 2021. They were originally to take to the stage on 30 May, 2020.
Sinéad O’Connor has been rescheduled for 20, June 2021. She was originally due to play on 5 June, 2020.
John Bishop has been rescheduled for 13, June 2021 and 14 June 2021. He was originally to play on June 17 and 18, 2020.
Christy Moore has been rescheduled for 26, June 2021. He was due to play on June 26, 2020.
Crowded House has been rescheduled for 28, June 2021. They were originally due to play on June 29.
In a statement, Aiken Promotions said: “Aiken Promotions are working to reschedule other events, please bear with us and we will update on a show by show basis as soon as possible.
“Updates will be posted on aikenpromotions.com and on facebook / Twitter / Instagram.”
The Live at the Marquee tented venue has a capacity of 4,000 meaning it was not included in the latest ban on gatherings of 5,000 or more but promoters took the decision to reschedule the gigs for 2021.
2020 was due to be the last of the Live at the Marquee series on Monahan Road as developers planned to begin work on the site at the end of the summer.
Marina Quarter Limited was due to start the development of 1,100 apartments and child care facilities on the former Ford distribution site.
The Kildare-based company’s planned development was met with mixed reactions from locals and councillors alike last year.
Speaking to The Echo about the rescheduled Live at the Marquee concerts, Councillor Tony Fitzgerald (FF) said that the right decision was made and that health and wellbeing takes priority right now.
“Health and wellbeing is the most important thing in people’s lives at the moment and I think that takes priority over everything else for all of us.
“I do feel sorry for the project promoters and the staff and everybody that’s involved because there are financial implications to the economy both locally and internationally. I think everybody is focused at the moment on keeping safe and being healthy.
“Thoughts are with those who are bereaved at the moment and keeping that to a minimum would be very important.”
The former Lord Mayor said that The Marquee has been a “huge attraction” for the city over the last number of years.
“Peter Aiken has been one of the major ambassadors in promoting Cork as a venue for entertainment and we appreciate and applaud all the work he has done. It gives us a strong platform for other events to be organised.”
Cllr Fitzgerald said that he hopes the Cork’s tourism industry will take off again when the current Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted.
“I’m assuming that people up the country would want to come to Cork when the restrictions are lifted and equally that international tourism will see people who want to come to Ireland. We still have a very attractive place to visit, we’ve good food and good entertainment,” he said.
Chair of the Irish Hotels Federation (IHF) Cork Branch and General Manager of The Kingsley Hotel in Cork city, Fergal Harte, said that the hotel has been working with guests who had booked with them during the timeframe of the LIie at the Marquee concerts, and all other guests.
“We’ve been working with our guests and with everyone who has been in touch with us and we appreciate that everyone is in a very difficult decision. We're doing our very best to accommodate everyone to their satisfaction and we've had no issues in that regard.”
He said that the IHF is “not sure” of when hotels can reopen and is waiting to hear what the government announces over the next couple of weeks.
The Kingsley Hotel is currently welcoming frontline staff for the duration of the crisis.
The hotel which closed its doors to the public back in March, has a total of 131 bedrooms and suites which have been made available to staff in partnership with the HSE.