Bail hearing set for man accused

Bail hearing set for man accused
Picture: Eddie O'Hare

A man in custody for an aggravated burglary at the home of a 75-year-old man who was locked up in his bedroom overnight will apply to be released on bail next week.

39-year-old Thomas Twohig of 19 Colmcille Road, Gurranabraher, Cork, appeared at Cork District Court by video link from prison.

Frank Buttimer, solicitor, said that Twohig reserved his position regarding bail when he was arrested and charged just over a month ago. 

Mr Buttimer said the defendant now wished to bring his application for bail.

The prosecution required time to arrange for witnesses to be in court to object to the bail application.

Judge Olann Kelleher adjourned the bail application until June 9. 

Twohig will be brought to court in person for that application.

Twohig faces a charge of aggravated burglary. The charge states that on May 1 at St John’s, Bull’s Lane, Blackrock Road, Cork, he committed a burglary and at the time had with him a weapon of offence, namely a metal spirit level.

A co-accused woman is charged with entering the house at St John’s, Bull’s Lane, Blackrock Road, Cork, and stealing a Seiko watch worth €200, a Huawei mobile phone, worth €100, bank cards, a cash box worth €10 and €15 cash.

Detective Garda Seán Stack previously alleged in relation to the investigation that the victim was tied up and locked in a room in his house and it was not until lunchtime the next day – some 15 hours later – that the pensioner’s sister called to see if her brother was OK. Gardaí were then alerted and the investigation commenced.

More in this section

Sponsored Content