Cork man whose family were killed in crash involving learner driver invites Minister to visit their graves

Cork man whose family were killed in crash involving learner driver invites Minister to visit their graves
Agriculture Minister Barry Cowen arriving for the Cabinet meeting at Dublin Castle.

A CORKMAN whose wife and daughter were killed in a crash involving a learner driver has invited embattled Minister for Agriculture Barry Cowen to Cork to visit their graves.

Noel Clancy from Kilworth lost his wife Geraldine and 22-year-old daughter Louise in the accident just half a mile from their home on December 22, 2015. Geraldine was taking her daughter to a bus in Fermoy when they were in collision with a learner driver.

He issued a public invitation on RTÉ Radio 1's Today with Sarah McInerney show to Minister Cowen after it emerged in recent days that the politician had been driving on a provisional licence when caught for drink driving at the age of 49, in September 2016.

Mr Clancy had campaigned for the introduction of the Clancy Amendment in December 2018, three years after the fatal crash.

He told The Echo: "I have put out an open invitation to him (Minister Cowen) to visit the crash scene and visit their graves."

He said he was "maddened" that Minister Cowen has not elaborated on why he was driving on a provisional licence long term, despite apologising for being caught drink driving.

In February 2017, an inquest found the Clancy women had both died from acute cardiorespiratory failure due to drowning following a road traffic accident.

Noel was among those who assisted at the scene of the accident.

The impact of the collision resulted in Clancys' Ford Focus being pushed into a flooded drain.

He did not realise that his loved ones were the victims until he spotted the number plate of the family's car.

A woman was given a suspended three year sentence and banned from driving for 15 years at Cork Circuit Court in November 2016.

More in this section

Sponsored Content