COVID-19 latest: 12 deaths reported, 76 new cases

COVID-19 latest: 12 deaths reported, 76 new cases
Pictured is Dr Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health. Photo: Sasko

Twelve more people with COVID-19 have died, bringing the total number of people with the disease who have died in Ireland to 1,583.

A further 76 new cases of the disease have also been reported, with 24,391 confirmed cases of COVID-19 now reported in Ireland since the beginning of the outbreak.

The figures were revealed by Dr Ronan Glynn, the Deputy Chief Medical Officer at a briefing of the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) this evening.

Dr Glynn pointed out that we have experienced six consecutive days of having under 100 new confirmed cases in Ireland.

“This is very positive and demonstrates the extent to which the public’s actions have limited the spread of this disease. However, it is only through continued commitment to hand washing, respiratory etiquette and physical distancing that we will remain successful in suppressing the spread of COVID-19 through the community,” he said.

Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group said; “Most indicators continue to improve, with ICU and hospital admissions, number of cases per day and number of deaths per day continuing to decline. Prevalence of the virus remains low in the community. The reproduction number is well below one, so our task remains to maintain low transmission of the virus.” 

Data released by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) shows that on Monday, 1,376 cases of COVID-19 had been reported in Cork, representing 5.7 per cent of all cases reported nationally.

Cork continues to have a lower incidence rate of COVID-19 than many other counties with the latest data showing the cumulative incidence rate per 100,000 population of confirmed cases of COVID-19 notified here is 253.5.

The figure is the sixth lowest nationally and is significantly lower than Cavan which has the highest rate at 1,052.8.

Meanwhile, latest data from the HSE shows that on Wednesday night, 15 people with either confirmed or suspected COVID-19 were being cared for at hospitals in Cork.

Four patients with confirmed COVID-19 and six patients with suspected COVID-19 were being treated at Cork University Hospital while one person with confirmed COVID-19 and four people with suspected COVID-19 were being cared for at the Mercy.

The number of people admitted to intensive care units in Cork has remained stable. 

On Wednesday, four people with confirmed COVID-19 were being treated at critical care units across CUH, the Mercy and the Bon Secours hospitals. 

More in this section

Sponsored Content