Vigils as part of a campaign to save one of Cork’s well-known respite and residential centres for the elderly on the northside of the city have been postponed following the most recent Government restrictions.
New guidelines announced by Taoiseach Micheál Martin on Tuesday evening allow a maximum of 15 people to gather outdoors, down from 200.
It was announced last week that the closure of Mount Cara was paused until January next year with vigils as part of the campaign to save Mount Cara taking place at its location on Redemption Road in recent weeks.
Although the closure of the care home which employs a total of 24 currently has a total of 15 residents in its care was paused, Multi Task Assistant (MTA), Majella Lynch, said that it was “just a HIQA requirement” and that the “process of winding down Mount Cara is still in operation”.
She said that action is needed from Taoiseach Micheál Martin now that there is added time to step in and save Mount Cara.
Ms Lynch said that Lord Mayor Joe Kavanagh paid a visit to the residents of Mount Cara on Tuesday and told staff and residents that they have his support on “doing what’s best to keep Mount Cara in operation”.
The vigils which were taking place each Wednesday at 7pm are now on hold until further notice.