CONFIRMATION ceremonies in Bandon have been brought forward to this week out of concerns that they could be postponed for a second time because of Covid-19.
The parish was due to hold its confirmation ceremony on April 1 but had to postpone the event following the nationwide March lockdown.
The event had been rescheduled for mid-October.
However, local parish priest Fr John Kingston said a decision was taken to hold the confirmation over the next three evenings instead amid rising numbers of Coronavirus cases in Cork, and across the country.
He said: "Parents don't want their children to be disappointed for a second time."
The event is now broken down into three different ceremonies, allowing for social distancing in the church.
Yesterday, acting chief medical officer, Dr Ronan Glynn, highlighted Cork as being one of the counties which is currently causing concern.
There have been more than 360 cases of Covid-19 detected in Cork in the past fortnight, including 70 which Dr Glynn said were associated with pubs and restaurants.
He added that there was a cluster in Galway had been associated with a house party.
There is concern that the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) could recommend on Thursday that Cork would join Donegal and Dublin at level three restrictions.
Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly warned in recent days that Cork is one of four counties where there is the possibility of additional restrictions being announced, and said it is being monitored "very carefully."
Dr Glynn said: "I am asking everyone, but especially those living and working in Cork, Galway, Monaghan and Roscommon, to adhere to the public health advice. There is still time to get the virus back under control in these areas, break the chains of transmission and stop the spread of this highly infectious disease in these communities."
Level 3 restrictions would impact on the number of house house visitors, as well as likely restrictions for pubs and restaurants, nursing homes and events.