Ireland at a crossroads in the coronavirus pandemic, says Minister

Ireland at a crossroads in the coronavirus pandemic, says Minister

A total of 396 further cases of Covid-19 were reported in Ireland by the National Public Health Emergency Team on Sunday including 36 in Cork.

Ireland is at a crossroads in the coronavirus pandemic, a government minister has said.

Dublin city and county have been placed under tighter restrictions following a surge of cases in the capital.

Simon Harris, Minister for Further and Higher Education, said the Government "acted very rapidly" on the National Public Health Emergency Team's advice earlier this week.

"There is a very, very narrow window here now, where we the Irish people have a choice," he told RTÉ.

"We're at a crossroads. This could go one of two ways. We have to act now to make sure we do not go back to where we were in March or April."

Referring to previous local lockdowns in counties Kildare, Laois and Offaly, Mr Harris said "swift action" had been taken, adding that simply shutting meat factories in those counties would not have been enough.

Mr Harris also said that while Ireland is testing more people for Covid-19 than most other European countries, more investment is needed.

He said that there are currently about 14,000 tests a day being carried out, the vast majority of which are returned negative.

"What we have to be doing here, every single one of us, is reducing the spread of this virus," he said.

"You have to increase testing infrastructure and we're doing that, but you also need to lessen the need for people to have tests."

A total of 396 further cases of Covid-19 were reported in Ireland by the National Public Health Emergency Team on Sunday.

This brings the total number of cases to 32,933.

Of the latest cases, 241 were in Dublin, 36 in Cork, 19 in Donegal, 12 in Galway, 11 in Meath, 11 in Kildare, nine in Monaghan, seven in Louth, six in Clare, six in Offaly, six in Waterford and five in Wicklow, with the remaining 27 cases spread across 11 counties.

No further deaths were reported, leaving the toll at 1,792.

more Coronavirus articles

Close-up of a hand holding a positive antigen test for COVID-19. 67 cases in Cork as highest national covid rates of 2025 recorded last week
Professor Anne Scott Covid appeal Ireland's Covid review is not public inquiry and 'not here to point fingers', chair says
Coronavirus - Mon Feb 28, 2022 CSO launches survey to assess impact of Covid-19 pandemic on public

More in this section

St. Patrick’s Weekend Bank Holiday appeal from The RSA and An Garda Síochána Rise in drink and drug driving arrests prompts call for increased garda presence on Cork roads  
Test results due on dead birds removed from The Lough  ‘next week’ Test results due on dead birds removed from The Lough  ‘next week’
'When I told them I had the winning ticket, it was madness': Four Cork players win big with National Lottery 'When I told them I had the winning ticket, it was madness': Four Cork players win big with National Lottery

Sponsored Content

Vhi invests in youth projects to manage anxiety and build resilience Vhi invests in youth projects to manage anxiety and build resilience
Shared waters, shared futures Shared waters, shared futures
When the weather is part of the plan – The model that inspires European rugby When the weather is part of the plan – The model that inspires European rugby
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more