HSE says all procedures and precautions followed after Cork school confirms Covid-19 case 

HSE says all procedures and precautions followed after Cork school confirms Covid-19 case 

File photo date 15/07/14 of a generic stock photo of school girls walking to school. Many children are not ready to start school when they first enter a classroom, a poll of headteachers suggests.

All appropriate procedures and precautions have been followed in relation to any Covid-19 cases notified in Cork in recent days, according to the HSE South.

The local health service was commenting following reports that a case of Covid-19 has been confirmed at a third Cork school.

The Irish Examiner reported that, on Sunday evening, public health officials advised parents and guardians of more than 400 children attending Scoil Bhríde, Rathcormac that a case of Covid-19 had been identified.

Meanwhile, last week a case of the virus was confirmed at Scoil Bhríde Eglantine in Douglas and at Scoil Clíodhna in Carrigtwohill.

The virus has been detected in more than 50 schools across the country since schools reopened at the end of August.

When asked for comment by The Echo, a spokesperson for HSE South said:

“We do not comment on individual cases or outbreaks to protect the privacy and confidentiality of those involved.

“The details of anyone who engages with the health system, including the Covid-19 testing, tracking and tracing system, is entirely confidential.

“In any case where a case of Covid-19 is linked to an educational facility, Public Health professionals speak directly with the person, or family as appropriate, and ask them about their contacts,” she added.

“Public Health professionals also discuss the matter directly with the educational facility as part of that public health risk assessment.” 

The spokesperson explained that, if any children are deemed to be close contacts of a confirmed case linked to an educational facility, the child’s parents or guardians are contacted directly and advised of the action they need to take.

She also said that children who are not identified as a close contact do not need a test, and can continue to attend school.

“While we do not comment on individual outbreaks, the Department of Public Health can confirm that all appropriate procedures and precautions have been followed in relation to any cases notified in this region in recent days,” she added.

“Anyone deemed to be a close contact has been identified and contacted quickly.

“Although we cannot comment on any individual case, we are confident that correct procedures have been followed in the management of all cases notified to the Department to date.” Close contacts are offered two tests for Covid-19, and advised that they must restrict their movements.

They are tested again seven days after their initial test.

“Again, while we cannot comment in any individual case we can confirm that this process has been followed in any cases notified to us recently,” the spokesperson concluded.

More in this section

Sponsored Content