The Government has announced that as of midnight on Wednesday 21st October, all of Ireland will be placed on Level 5 of the Plan for Living with Covid with a small number of exceptions.
These restrictions will remain in place for a period of 6 weeks.
The new restrictions will have a number of implications:
- People are being asked to stay at home.
- People should work from home unless providing an essential service for which their physical presence is required.
- People can only exercise within a radius of 5 km of their home.
- There will be a penalty for movement outside 5km of home, with exemptions to this for essential work and essential purposes.
- Schools, early learning and childcare services will continue to remain open.
- Non-contact training can continue for school aged children, outdoors in pods of 15.
- All other training activities should be individual only, with some exemptions.
- Visits to other people’s homes or gardens are not possible.
- No social/family gatherings.
- People can meet with one other household in an outdoor setting which is not a home or garden, such as a park, including for exercise.
- No organised indoor or outdoor events.
- Essential retail and essential services will remain open.
- Public transport will operate at 25% capacity for the purposes of allowing those providing essential services to get to work.
- Professional, elite sports and inter-county Gaelic games, horse-racing and greyhound racing can continue behind closed doors.
- Bars, cafes, restaurants and wet pubs may provide take-away and delivery services only.
- Hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs may remain open, but only to support provision of essential services.
- People aged over 70 and the medically vulnerable are advised to continue to exercise personal judgement. It is recommended that they stay at home as much as possible, limit engagement to a very small network for short periods of time, while remaining physically distanced Religious services will be available online.
- Museums, galleries and other cultural attractions will remain closed.
- Libraries will be available for online services only.
- Outdoor playgrounds, play areas and parks will remain open with protective measures.
- Visits to Long Term Residential Care facilities are suspended with the exception of visits required for critical and compassionate circumstances.
- Up to 25 guests can attend a wedding ceremony and reception.
- Up to 10 mourners can attend a funeral.