CORK Opera House, which has remained closed to patrons since the lockdown in March, has announced a new programme of events, which are set to be live-streamed to audiences at home.
Cork Opera House CEO Eibhlín Gleeson said it had been devastating not to be able to bring people together through live performances over the past number of months and explained they had taken action to ensure they emerge from the current crisis.
"We could never have imagined what 2020 would bring for our industry.
"Live performance is at the heart of what we do, our business exists to bring people together and to not be able to do that has been devastating.
"I am however encouraged by the fact that Cork Opera House has persevered through many crises throughout its history and we are doing everything we can to adapt so we can come out of this one also.
"With the support of Cork City Council and the Arts Council, we are now in a position to provide an onstream programme which gives us the opportunity to connect with our patrons and do our part to support our local artistic community," she continued.
The winter programme will be live-streamed to audiences at home and features an eclectic mix of music by a host of established and emerging artists.
Some of Cork’s best known artists, including Mick Flannery, Majella Cullagh and Molly Lynch will make a return to the stage of the Opera House, whilst audiences tune in from the comfort of their homes.
The winter programme kicks off with Cork trombonist Paul Dunlea on Saturday who will be joined by some of Cork’s leading Jazz musicians and will come to a close on December 31 with a performance from Mick Flannery who will ring in the New Year.
Ms Gleeson said she hoped the programme would help bring some joy to people during these difficult times.
"Our winter programme puts our local artists front and centre and we’re delighted to be showcasing the incredible talent our region has to offer," she said.
Whilst many exciting Christmas events have been announced as part of the winter programme, the Opera House has confirmed that, unfortunately, the Christmas Panto has been cancelled.
"We feel for the countless families who, year after year, come out in their droves to see our Panto.
"We know all our patrons will miss the tradition of Panto this year but rest assured, we will be doing all in our power to bring the magic of Panto back to Cork again next year," Ms Gleeson said.
For the full programme of events visit www.corkoperahouse.ie