IAN Bailey says he is relieved that State will not appeal the High Court decision not to surrender him to France in connection with Sophie Toscan du Plantier's murder.
The High Court heard this morning that the State will not appeal the decision made on October 12.
The court also ruled this morning that Mr Bailey can recover his legal costs from the State.
After this morning's ruling, Mr Bailey told The Echo: ''Both myself and Jules (Thomas, his partner) are much relieved at this latest decision. I would also like to thank Jules and my very very good legal team, and the good people of west Cork and Ireland who have shown me great support and encouragement over the years."
France had sought his extradition after he was found guilty, in his absence, of the murder in west Cork in 1996.
The trial in Paris followed a probe by French investigators, who travelled to Ireland to interview witnesses who had been previously interviewed as part of the garda investigation into the killing.
Mr Bailey, who has always protested his innocence, was arrested twice during the garda investigation but was released without charge on both occasions.
Two previous attempts by the French to have Mr Bailey extradited were rejected by the Irish courts. Those attempts were prior to the French trial held in May 2019.
The first rejection was by the Supreme Court in 2012, with the second rejection being in 2017 by the High Court.
After the French probe got underway, Sophie Toscan du Plantier's remains were exhumed from her grave in France and reinterred after a fresh autopsy.
Mr Bailey's fight to prevent a French trial was rejected in France's Supreme Court in 2018.