portal_normal PUBLICATION STRUCTURE cat: /publications/ee-echo/news


portal_normal STRUCTURE section: corknews

portal_normal getURLCurrent: /web/eveningecho/corknews/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=4944b77b-ac1a-4356-b038-5a6c5c35288a

portal_normal getPortalURL getURLCurrent: http://www.echolive.ie./web/eveningecho/corknews/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=4944b77b-ac1a-4356-b038-5a6c5c35288a

portal_normal getPortalURL: http://www.echolive.ie

portal_normal domain: http://www.echolive.ie

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - url: /corknews/Sympathy-extended-after-tourist-dies-while-visiting-Spike-Island--4944b77b-ac1a-4356-b038-5a6c5c35288a-ds

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - section: corknews

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - orgcat: orgcat = /PUBLICATIONS/EE-ECHO/NEWS

Picture: Larry Cummins
Picture: Larry Cummins

Sympathy extended after tourist dies while visiting Spike Island 

Sympathies have been extended to the family of a foreign tourist who died at Spike Island yesterday.

Multiple first responder services attended the popular tourist attraction yesterday afternoon after the alarm was raised at around 1.30pm. 

The tourist, a man in in his late 40s, had become seriously unwell while visiting the fort and a friend performed CPR until emergency services arrived at the scene.

But despite the combined efforts of Crosshaven RNLI, the Coast Guard and the Irish Community Air Ambulance, the man passed away.

Gardaí confirmed that the body was removed to Cork University Hospital where a post mortem is due to be carried out at a later date.

“Our sympathies are with the family of the deceased man, RIP,” Crosshaven RNLI said.

Yesterday was a busy day for emergency services in Cork, with multiple callouts to a number of incidents around the county.

Earlier, a diver was brought to hospital after suffering decompression sickness at the wreck of the Lusitania.

A Coast Guard Helicopter airlifted the diver from approximately 12 miles off the Old Head of Kinsale to Galway University Hospital.

The diver received initial medical attention at Cork University Hospital before being transferred to the Galway-based recompression facility.