portal_normal EE STRUCTURE orgcat: /PUBLICATIONS/EE-ECHO/NEWS

portal_normal PUBLICATION STRUCTURE cat: /publications/ee-echo/news

portal_normal CATEGORY STRUCTURE category: /PUBLICATIONS/EE-ECHO/NEWS

portal_normal STRUCTURE section: corknews

portal_normal getURLCurrent: /web/eveningecho/corknews/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=83793407-a178-49bf-a7f5-31c30a89525d

portal_normal getPortalURL getURLCurrent: http://www.echolive.ie./web/eveningecho/corknews/detailedstory?p_p_id=DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite&p_p_lifecycle=0&_DetailedStory_WAR_portalsuite_arg_detailstory_uuid=83793407-a178-49bf-a7f5-31c30a89525d

portal_normal getPortalURL: http://www.echolive.ie

portal_normal domain: http://www.echolive.ie

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - url: /corknews/City-Hall-calls-for-public-forum-to-discuss-flood-defences-83793407-a178-49bf-a7f5-31c30a89525d-ds

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - section: corknews

STRUCTURE EE_062016_general_layout.tpl - orgcat: orgcat = /PUBLICATIONS/EE-ECHO/NEWS

Flooding on Fr Mathew Quay, in early February, 2017. City Hall officials are asking all relevant stakeholders in the city’s flood defences system to attend a public forum to discuss the multi-million euro scheme. Picture: Larry Cummins
Flooding on Fr Mathew Quay, in early February, 2017. City Hall officials are asking all relevant stakeholders in the city’s flood defences system to attend a public forum to discuss the multi-million euro scheme. Picture: Larry Cummins
SOCIAL BOOKMARKS

City Hall calls for public forum to discuss flood defences

THE ESB, the Office of Public Works and the architects behind Cork’s proposed flood defences will all be asked by City Hall officials to attend a public forum to discuss the multi-million scheme.

Members of the Save Cork City action group, who are opposing the plans in their current format, are also expected to attend a meeting which will be open to the public.

City councillors made the call at a meeting of the local authority, claiming that misinformation and a lack of clarity have caused some alarm in relation to the plans.

No date has yet been set for the meeting, but elected members have insisted that it take place before the closing date for submissions on the project on March 16.

Two separate motions came before the council calling for a public forum to take place at City Hall.

Elected members say the information session could calm fears about the scheme.

The Fine Gael group, including the Lord Mayor, Cllr Des Cahill and cllrs Laura McGonigle and John Buttimer proposed a public meeting to discuss the full implications of the Lower Lee Flood Relief Scheme.

The three suggested bringing engineers Arup and local activist group Save Cork City in to contribute to the proceedings.

A similar motion was submitted by Cllr Thomas Gould on behalf of the Sinn Féin group.

The Lord Mayor said the forum would follow a busy public meeting at UCC last week.

“There is no harm in meeting with the Save Cork City group,” he said.

His colleague John Buttimer said the information session would allow ‘a full discussion and exploration of all issues at hand.’

Ms Laura McGongile said a dearth of information has sparked some concern among various parties.

“I felt there was a deficit of information and some scaremongering.

“It is not just for the Save Cork City group, but for everyone to come in and hear information from both sides to make an informed decision.”

Ms McGonigle said the public consultation was ‘valuable’ but added that many people felt there wasn’t enough information and that the sessions were not publicised widely enough.