IN the olden days, Mother’s Day was called Mothering Sunday and probably referred to religious services being attended at the ‘Mother Church’, on this particular Sunday, which falls during Lent.
For the hommous
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Juice of half a lemon (or to taste)
2 tbsp tahini paste (sesame seed paste)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
4 fresh free range eggs
8 slices dry cured streaky bacon
4 fresh flatbreads (Cork’s Al-Sham flatbreads are super)
2 ripe avocados, halved and flesh scooped
Smoked Paprika to decorate
- For the hommous, place the chickpeas in a processor with garlic, lemon juice, tahini, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Whizz to form a puree. Check for tasting adding more lemon juice, or seasoning as desired.
- Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. This can be made in advance to this point then covered with film and refrigerated.
- Poach the eggs soft in a pan of water with a dash of white wine vinegar added.
- Fry bacon crisp in a pan.
- While eggs and bacon are cooking, warm the flatbreads briefly in between two clean damp towels/kitchen towel in a steamer or microwave.
- To serve, spread the hommous onto the centre of the warm flatbreads and top with poached eggs, crispy bacon and scoops of avocado flesh.
- Sprinkle with paprika to finish.
For the caramel sauce:
50g soft brown sugar
For the toasts:
4 fresh free range eggs
Knob of butter
2 tbsp Nutella (optional)
4 small ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- For the caramel sauce, melt the butter and sugar in a pan over medium heat till sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cream and bubble for a minute. Reserve, keeping warm.
- Beat the eggs and milk together and pour into a shallow dish.
- For the French toast, dip the bread into the egg mix for about a minute, till it soaks both sides.
- both sides.
- Melt butter in a pan and fry the bread for about two minutes, or until till golden and crisp both sides.
- Transfer to warm plates. Spread each slice with Nutella, if using.
- Melt an extra knob of butter in frying pan and add bananas. Cook with a little extra butter for about two minutes, or until golden.
- Arrange the bananas on the warm French toast and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Top with a scoop of clotted cream or ice cream to finish.
Canned chickpeas organic €1.19
Flatbreads €1.50 (approx)
Bananas organic €1.59 Sourdough €2.50 Cream €1.19
Soft brown sugar €1.00 (500g special offer)