These are delicious — moist and dense cupcakes with soft chocolatey centres — and they melt in the mouth with the intense strawberry icing. They would be really pretty to serve for a tea party.
66gr dark chocolate chips
85gr soft butter
150gr brown sugar
2 free range eggs
150gr self-raising flour
50gr plain flour
20gr cocoa powder
12 chocolate truffles (prepared in advance or bought)
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C.
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 papers.
- Bring the milk to the boil and pour over the chocolate, allow to sit for a few minutes to melt then whisk or stir until smooth and the chocolate is fully melted.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until they are soft and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Sift together the flours and cocoa powder.
- Fold the sifted flour into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Next add the chocolate milk. Stir until fully mixed and smooth.
- Half fill the cupcake papers with the batter then top each one with a truffle and cover with the remaining mixture.
- Place in the top of pre-heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until nicely risen and the cupcake springs back gently when pressed.
70 ml cream warmed
100gr milk chocolate
Pinch of sea salt
75gr extra dark or milk chocolate.
Extra milk chocolate drops for dipping, approximately ½ cup
- Bring the cream to the boil.
- Pour the cream over the milk chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Once mixed well add a little sea salt (optional).
- Scrape into a small container and chill.
- Once set, scoop out rounds with a hot melon baller or a measuring tsp. Drop onto a clean tray then roll if necessary to even out. Chill again.
- Melt extra chocolate over a barely trembling Bain Marie of water and stir occasionally until it is just warm and melted not hot.
- Using a cocktail stick or small fork, carefully and quickly dip the truffles into the chocolate until coated, allow excess chocolate to drip off the place on a chilled wire rack.
- Use for inside cupcake.
250gr strawberries halved or quartered (depending on size)
30gr caster sugar
250gr soft butter
450gr icing sugar
- Increase the oven temperature to 180C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, then toss the strawberries and sugar together.
- Place on the baking tray and put in the top of the oven for about 20 minutes until the strawberries are starting to collapse.
- Allow to cool completely before blending in a food processor and sieve to remove the smallest amounts of pips.
- Using the spade attachment of an electric mixer, beat the butter and carefully add the icing sugar in batches beat well between each addition, until light and fluffy.
- Finally, add the strawberry puree and beat in.
- Using a plain nozzle, pipe the icing generously onto the cup cakes.
You can email Mercy Fenton at email@example.com