I don’t think there are many tarts easier to make than this. The typical key lime pie uses an easy homemade graham cracker crust, a smooth and creamy key lime pie filling, and homemade whipped cream on top — why, for years, I thought it was similar to lemon curd I have no idea. As always when a recipe calls for graham crackers, I substitute digestives — and this time I’ve added some ginger biscuits as they will go beautifully with the lime flavour.
120gr digestive crumbs
60gr ginger nut biscuits crushed
55gr granulated sugar
80gr unsalted butter melted.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Grease the base and sides of a 9inch spring form tin.
- Place a disk of parchment on the base of the tin.
- Combine the digestive crumbs, ginger nut crumbs and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add the melted butter and stir until fully combined and all of the crumbs are moistened.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared tin and firmly press it down into an even layer on the bottom and up around the sides of the dish.
- Bake at 175C for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes while you make the filling.
- Keep oven temperature at 175C.
Grated zest of 2 limes — to sprinkle on top.
240 ml lime juice, large and juicy if possible
2 tins condensed milk — 788gr
5 free range egg yolks
300 to 450mls whipping cream (depending on your preference)
- Combine the key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the filling into the slightly cooled graham cracker crust and spread it around into one even layer.
- Bake at 350F for 18-22 minutes or until the top of the pie is set, the pie will still be wobbly.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool for 2 hours. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, top with whipped cream, (you can add a hint of icing sugar if you like, I don’t.)
- Chill for an hour before serving. Sprinkle with the grated zest optional.
- The beauty of Key lime pie is it is delicious on its own with nothing else, or you can dress it up with fresh berries or some tropical fruit salad.
You can email Mercy Fenton at email@example.com