This cake flavoured with pink grapefruit is sort of sweet and sour but definitely still fits the cake treat bill. Moistened with a little grapefruit syrup and topped with sweet glaze it is a refreshing change. Decorated with mint and thyme flowers it looks delightful as a centrepiece.
190g cream flour
10g baking powder
¼ tsp. fine sea salt
3 large free-range eggs
200g natural yogurt
66g caster sugar
Grated zest of 4 pink grapefruits
½ tsp. vanilla extract
50ml coconut oil — melted but cool.
Syrup for drizzling
Finely grated juice and zest of 1 grapefruit
30 g caster sugar
Glaze & Garnish
60g icing sugar
15ml grapefruit juice
1 grapefruit with pith and peel removed
- Pre heat the oven to 170 C.
- Grease the base and sides of a 9inch spring form tin.
- Line the base with a disk of parchment paper.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Whisk together the eggs, yogurt, sugar, grapefruit zest, honey, vanilla & coconut oil.
- Gradually add the flour to the liquid mixture, ensure there are no lumps and then scrape into the prepared tin.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the tin and transfer it to a wire rack.
- Heat the sugar, grapefruit juice and zest enough to dissolve the sugar.
- Pierce the cake in several places to allow the syrup to seep through, then pour the syrup over the cake while it is still warm so then the syrup seeps into the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool fully before preparing the grapefruit glaze.
- For the glaze heat the grapefruit juice for 30 seconds in the microwave then add enough sugar to have a thick but slightly flowing consistency.
- Carefully pour the glaze onto the cake and spread carefully, allow to flow over the edges.
- Leave to set before decorating with thin slices of pink grapefruit with pith and zest removed.
If you would like to contact Mercy email firstname.lastname@example.org