So, the kids have been busy again experimenting with recipes this week during lockdown — easy recipes that they can manage mostly on their own are obviously my favourites, and they made delicious lightly spiced cupcakes.
The batter is muffin-like and versatile so I also used it to make an apple bake that was delicious.
60g soft butter
150g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1/8 plus ¼ tsp Cinnamon
1¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
120g cream flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C.
- Line the muffin tin with 9 papers.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with the vanilla and spices, once it is soft and light add the eggs one at a time.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the flour to the butter and eggs then beat in the milk slowly.
- Fill the paper cases half way only.
- Bake for 25 minutes, most likely eat warm — and who would be willing to wait for them to cool?
You need 2 cooking apples
Less than half the mix above.
A handful of broken pecan nuts.
- Grease the base of a deep dish roughly 9 x 7 inches.
- Peel and slice 2 cooking apples and spread over the base of the dish. Then, if you make the mix above, just fill 5 cupcakes and use the remaining mix and pour over the apples.
- Scatter with the pecan nuts.
- Place both in the oven at the same time, but the apple bake will take about 35 minutes.
- As it’s a bit hard at the moment to resist the cupboard, why not put home made treats in it — they always s taste much better and you know what ingredients are in them.
You can email Mercy Fenton at firstname.lastname@example.org