Ireland is well known for its Fruit Soda Bread — served freshly baked and buttered for a treat with a cup of tea.
But if you’ve a few slices leftover which have gone past their best, they’ll be perfect for a Fruit Soda Bread and Butter Pudding. Waste not want not
4 thickish slices Fruit Soda bread
Softened Butter for spreading
3 fresh free range eggs
1 tsp ground ginger
Freshly grated nutmeg and extra butter for topping
- Butter and halve the bread slices.
- Arrange in a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Beat eggs with milk and stir in sugar and ground ginger Pour over the bread in the dish and leave a few moments to soak in.
- Grate nutmeg on top and dot with extra butter.
- Bake at Gas 4 350F 180C for 30 minutes or until the pudding is set and golden on top.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.