This cake is dairy and gluten free, I haven’t gotten a chance yet to try it with flax egg for a vegan version, but I think it may work. This does beautifully in an 8 inch square tin, or make half the recipe in a one pound loaf tin.
4 to 5 firm pears depending on the size.
Juice of two oranges
160ml good quality olive oil
200gr caster sugar
200gr ground almond
100gr gluten free polenta (Do check for certified gluten free polenta if you have a dietary requirement)
1 ½ tsp. gluten free baking powder (again check)
3 large free-range eggs
Zest of 2 oranges finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Line the base and butter the sides of an 8 inch square tin.
- Heat the sugar and orange juice over a low heat and cook to a light caramel.
- Pour into the base of the tin swirling if necessary to spread the caramel.
- Peel and halve the pears from top to bottom, remove the core then cut each half into three wedges.
- Arrange all the pear wedges on the bottom of the tin packing as tightly as possible.
- Next whisk the sugar and olive oil together, add the eggs one by one whisking between each addition.
- Next add the orange zest, almond, polenta and baking powder.
- Scrape into the prepared tin, on top of the pears, level carefully then bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow the cake to rest in the tin for 10 minutes before carefully inverting and turning out onto wire rack to finish cooling it.
- Serve with Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey.
If you would like to contact Mercy email firstname.lastname@example.org