IN these times when we are trying to reduce our food shopping trips as much as possible, I’ve found myself planning meals with a view to making enough for leftovers, and then deciding what I can do with them.
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Roughly mash the potatoes in a bowl.
- Add cooked cabbage, grated onion and seasoning.
- Mix together with hands then form four round cakes on a floured board.
- Melt butter with oil in a non stick pan. Add the cakes and cook gently over medium heat for a few minutes, till well browned on base. Flip over to brown other sides.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt butter in a pan and stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk, whisking smooth.
- Bring to bubbling, stirring, and bubble for a few moments till sauce thickens, stirring constantly.
- Season and add parsley.
- Serve the cakes topped with hot or cold sliced cooked ham and a drizzle of sauce. Top with salad leaves to finish.