COVID-19 has given us plenty of time to spend in the kitchen. But #stayathome restrictions have created the need to think wisely when shopping.
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
3 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 fresh chicken legs
For the veggies:
1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and in big wedges
2 red onions, peeled and in wedges
4 medium normal or sweet potatoes, scrubbed and in wedges
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Olive oil for drizzling
- Mix mustard, oil and seasoning in a bowl and rub all over the chicken legs in a shallow dish.
- Leave in the fridge to marinate for an hour or as long as you can.
- Pop the chicken on a large non-stick tray and cook in a pre-heated oven Gas 5 375 190C for about 15 minutes, or until starting to brown and caramelize.
- Season the prepared veggies in a large bowl with garlic and drizzle with oil. Season and toss together, to coat evenly. When the chicken has begun to brown, remove it from the oven and strew the veggies around and underneath the meat.
- Return to the oven for about 25 minutes, or till the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender. Cover with foil if the veggies are getting too brown. Test the chicken by piercing the thickest part of the thigh. Juices should be clear with no sign of pinkness.
- Serve immediately with a big salad and garlic mayo on the side.
Chicken legs 900g €2.79
Butternut Squash (whole squash 89c)
Red Onions 500g net €1.59
Sweet Potatoes 750g €1.19