ITALIAN pasta sauces often have a story linked to them. But there’s none so intriguing as the history of ‘Puttanesca’.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
350g penne pasta
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Pinch dried red chilli flakes (optional, or to taste)
400g can Italian chopped tomatoes
Few pitted black olives, halved
Few capers, chopped (to taste)
Few leaves fresh basil or oregano, finely shredded
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra fresh herbs to finish
- Cook penne in boiling salted water till just al dente.
- At the same time, heat oil in a pan and gently fry onion, garlic and chilli till soft but not browned.
- Add tomatoes, olives and capers and bring to bubbling.
- Add tuna and cook for about five minutes. Stir in basil and oregano and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Strain penne and return to pan.
- Pour over the sauce and toss together.
- Serve immediately with extra fresh basil sprinkled over.