These Chocolate cookies are gluten free and seriously chocolatey. It does seem like a lot of sugar — and yes, they are sweet — but a little goes a long way. Serve with fresh strawberries and raspberries or with the delicious caramelized banana parfait.
187g icing sugar
32gr unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. salt
2 free-range egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
85gr dark chocolate chips
45 gr toasted nuts like hazelnuts or mini marshmallows.
- Sift the icing sugar, salt and cocoa into a large bowl.
- Add the egg whites and whisk lightly, Add the vanilla, and chocolate chips, nuts or marshmallow.
- The batter will be thick and brownie like, leave to sit for 10 to 15 minutes and turn on the oven to pre heat to 175C.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper, then spoon 4 or 5 small dessertspoons onto each tray, allow a generous amount of space as they do spread.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the tops are shiny and lightly cracked.
- Lift the parchment paper with cookies onto a cooling rack, once fully cooled they should peel off like meringues.
- (If you want to reduce the sugar you can replace about 20% with ground almonds, but the cookies will be more chewy and less crisp — although still delicious).
- If you’re feeling really adventurous, you could use the cookies to line a loaf tin and layer with banana parfait, top with cookies and freeze. Then cut into home made ice burgers.