210gr Cream Flour
30gr cocoa powder
½ tsp. baking powder
200gr unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
100gr soft light brown sugar
2 large free-range eggs
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
150ml full fat Greek yogurt
100 gr Caramel condensed milk (You can make your own salted caramel - but this is easy and delicious).
- Preheat the oven to 175 C.
- Line the bottom and sides of a rectangular tin 20 x 26cm with parchment paper.
- It’s better to start with all the ingredients at room temperature.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, two times (This is important).
- Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg slowly mixing well between each egg, add the vanilla and mix again.
- Fold in the flour mixture it will be quite dry, thick - almost scone like- add the yogurt, then mix until smooth.
- Scrape the cake mix into the prepared tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Check with a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake, it should come out clean.
- Once cooked allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5 to 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Ensure the cake is completely cool before cutting in half length ways to make two smaller rectangles, then cut each cake in half horizontally.
80 gr water
2 egg whites
180 gr butter
60gr coarse peanut butter at room temperature
1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- Place the sugar and water in a heavy saucepan, place on a low heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar is dissolved increase the heat and cook the sugar to softball, this looks thick and syrupy.
- Meanwhile put the whites in the bowl of an electric mixer, when the sugar is close to soft ball beat with a whisk on high until the whites become fluffy.
- Next add the sugar syrup slowly to the whites on low heat. (the hot sugar syrup will cook the whites)
- Beat the whites and sugar until they are cool.
- Next add the butter in small pieces slowly, beating all the time.
- Keep beating until the icing is light and smooth, finally add the peanut butter and the vanilla extract.
- Keep the icing at room temperature until ready to use.
20gr dark chocolate
20gr boiling hot cream
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and allow to sit to melt.
- To finish:
- Spread with 1/4 of the icing on the base of the cake, dollop with the condensed milk caramel; give the caramel a tiny sprinkling of sea salt.
- Repeat for the next two layers.
- Finally place the last layer on top spread with the remaining icing and also scrape across the sides.
- Once the top and sides of the cake are covered, texture the icing with uneven strokes of the pallet knife (if you want a smooth finish use a hot dry pallet knife.)
- Chill to set the icing, and then dollop with the caramel and some drizzles of chocolate ganache. Serve at room temperature.