OUR Covid-19 lockdown experience is gradually dissolving into the past, as more and more businesses open and life is returning to the ‘new normal’. Handwashing, sanitizing and social distancing are now part of everyday life, as people go about their daily business. And whilst there’s once again a buzz about the place, we have lost some of the joys of an Irish summer, through the lack of tourism and the usual seasonal gigs and festivals we are so used to enjoying this time of year.
Ingredient (Serves 4)
2 medium aubergines
Extra virgin olive oil for brushing and dressing
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of dried red chilli flakes
300g strawberries, hulled and quartered
150g Feta cheese
Few whole fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp pecans, sliced
Balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Slice aubergines into rounds.
- Brush with olive oil both sides and season.
- Heat a cast iron griddle pan till smoking.
- Lay the slices in a single layer in the pan. Cook for a few minutes, until the underneath is charred.
- Turn over the slices to char other sides. Cook the aubergine in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. Place each finished batch on a plate while you cook the remaining slices.
- When you have all the aubergines cooked and on the plate, sprinkle with chilli flakes, drizzle with olive oil and season. Turn over gently with fingers, being careful not to break the slices.
- Arrange aubergine slices on four serving plates.
- Scatter the strawberries on top and crumble feta cheese over each plate.
- Crumble the feta on top and strew the basil leaves over. Finish with the sliced pecans.
- Drizzle each plate with a few drops of balsamic vinegar and a little extra oil before serving.