225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
225g butter, softened
4 fresh free range medium eggs, beaten
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Few drops of milk (as necessary)
75g caster sugar
Juice of 2 medium lemons
- Sift flour with baking powder. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar till lightly and fluffy.
- Gradually add beaten eggs, a little at a time, with alternate spoons of flour mix.
- When all the eggs are incorporated, fold in lemon zest and remaining flour mix.
- Add a few drops of milk to make a soft dropping consistency.
- Spoon into a lined and buttered non-stick cake tin and tap to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven Gas 4 375F 180C for about 35 minutes, or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- To make the lemon glaze. Mix sugar with lemon juice and reserve.
- When the cake is cooked, remove from oven and prick all over with a skewer.
- While the cake is still hot, pour over the lemon glaze.
- Leave till just cool then turn out and serve.