This rice is like sweet braised rice spiked with ginger and basil. It’s creamy and delicious and perfect for the neither here nor there weather that isn’t awful but not quiet summer. Serve fresh mint or basil with the sunshiny cool mango and a sprinkle of lime zest for a little zing.
150gr Mango puree
1 cup diced mango
250 ml Coconut Milk
1 lump of stem ginger
100gr Arborio or Carnaroli rice
2 tbsp sugar
Grated zest of lime
Mint leaves, basil leaves
1 tblsp coconut oil
- Peel two ripe mangos, cut the two sides of each into cubes and puree the rest.
- Dice the stem ginger.
- Gentle heat one tablespoon of the coconut oil in a shallow flameproof casserole, add the ginger and cook gently for two to three minutes.
- Add 100ml mango puree and heat to a gentle simmer.
- Next add the coconut milk, bring to a simmer.
- Sprinkle in the rice, stir once, then leave to simmer vigorously over a medium-high heat for five to six minutes.
- Add the sugar.
- Lower the heat and leave to simmer gently for another 12 minutes.
- At the end of this time almost all the liquid should be absorbed and the rice will be pitted with small holes and tender.
- The rice can be served warm or cold, serve with diced mango and julienne of basil and mint.
- Scatter with a little toasted shaved coconut
You will find more of Mercy’s desserts on EchoLive.ie